Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bathroom adventurer

Ever since Owen started crawling he’s been trying to sneak into our bathrooms, tantalized perhaps by the fact that each time he ventures in one I scoop him up and set him down in a cleaner, more appropriate play space. Now that Owen’s mastered pulling up, the bathroom is all the more enticing. And yesterday, Owen nearly got a taste of the forbidden fruit for babies: toilet water.

I was on the phone with my mom, with Owen hanging out floorside in the dining room. And within a minute’s time, Owen, capitalizing on my distraction, made a bee-line across the house, through the living room, into our bedroom and then into our bathroom. I noticed the eery silence, did a quick search through the house and found him standing elated at the toilet, dipping his hand in the bowl. We have an if-it’s-yellow-let-it-mellow water-saving policy when there’s no company to offend in our house, so it was only by the grace of God that he got a clean dip. So I’m renewing my resolve to keep the bathroom doors shut at all times – but I imagine it won’t be long before we have a lapse and I find my little adventurer toilet climbing again.

No comments: