Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Easter egg prep

We did some Easter egg decorating today during Owen’s morning nap. Will loves to watch dye tablets dissolve in the water and experiment with dipping eggs in the various colors. But we also wanted to try painting the eggs this year. So we did both – a base level dye followed by painting with liquid tempera paint.

Will was satisfied with the results. “Mom, the Easter Bunny is going to think these eggs are so beautiful,” he said.

This year we kept things simple. Rob’s out of town for a few days and I’m reluctant to get overly involved in messy projects with Will while Owen fusses on the sidelines. But one of these Easters I think it would be fun to set up a little kitchen laboratory and experiment with natural dyes – so Will and Owen can see how things like spinach and turmeric and coffee and cranberries can color water. Go here for some hints for natural dyes and other decorating techniques if you’re feeling ambitious.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My daughter is 3 and she's never dyed eggs. I figure this year it's time to give it a shot together. Like you, I have a baby begging for attention on the sidelines. Attempting this with both girls would probably only stress me out, so I think I'll take advantage of the husband's presence this weekend. I confess that I've never even boiled eggs; surely it can't be that difficult. And my daughter asked the other day if we could paint the eggs, so I may have to follow your lead!

--Kelley

Annie Addington said...

You can do it! I think Will and I spent less than an hour on the whole affair.

My recipe for hard boiled eggs: Put just enough cold water in a pot to cover the eggs. Bring to a rapid boil. Then turn off the burner, put a lid on the pot and in 15 minutes you're done. Drain water and replace with cool water to cool the eggs. It's the easiest cooking you'll ever do. I think I ate a hard boiled egg just about every day of my pregnancy -- trying to meet my Bradley Method egg quota...