Monday, October 29, 2007

Blotchy Tiger, Ambivalent Cow

Rob can’t quite see why I bother to make costumes for Will that wind up looking crude and silly in spots when buying a costume is easy – and often easier on the eyes (at least when I’m the one playing costume designer). I blame it on my mom, who always dressed us in homemade costumes until we were old enough to start creating the things ourselves. She once painted Mary Lou Retton on the front of a painted-orange box for me so that I could go as a giant box of Wheaties.

I can’t compete with that – and I’m not a seamstress so I generally rely on things like fabric paint and glue guns and maybe a bit of hand-stitching here or there. This year, I enlisted Will for some help with the painting so Mr. Tiger was blotchy-striped on the back side. I also had to dye a turtleneck because I couldn’t find an orange one – and it didn’t quite match the orange sweatpants I’d found (which didn’t come in white, since no mother in her right mind would buy white sweatpants for her dirt-magnet toddler), so Will was sort of a multi-toned orange tiger with a tail nearly longer than his legs that miraculously didn’t trip him at the Halloween Party he went to today. (The hat was one of those $1 foam birthday party hats, one of several I bought one year and then forgot to give out to our guests. We found it forgotten and falling apart in our attic).

Here's Will practicing his clawing and growling before the party.


Owen, on the other hand, got this ready-made cow costume, a $1.50 consignment sale purchase I made back in September when I foresaw that I wasn’t going to get it together to construct two costumes. This is how thrilled he was to be wearing the thing:

I have to admit that Halloween’s a pretty silly holiday to be inflicting on a three-month-old. Still, I can’t help myself.

After the Halloween festivities we decostumed the boys and let them help Dad blow out the candles on his made-from-a-box birthday cake. 33 years and aging.

No comments: