Thursday, August 16, 2007

Monster patrol

Will’s bedime rituals and night-waking problems are so ridiculous and complicated and problematic for us that I’ve been avoiding discussing the issue here for a good while. It’s probably the most obvious place where Rob and I feel like we’ve just mucked things up as parents.

I’m not going to bore you with the whole long story. But here’s evidence that Will’s weird when it comes to bedtime (and that we’re equally weird for complying with his requests):
We went through a little sleep program (courtesy of Marc Weissbluth’s book “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child,”) that involved putting Will back in his bed every time he got up, even when it took dozens of repetitions (130-something was our record on our first night following the plan for treating "Jack-in-the-Box Syndrome"). Finally we resorted to locking the door for five minutes so Will could cry things out for a bit and then he would agree to be put in bed. Will got to the point of asking us to lock his door and then lying on the carpet beside the door so he could peer through the little crack down the hallway and (“see what you are doing”) until he fell asleep. Once we heard the deep breathing of sleep, Rob would gently push the door open, pick Will up and put him in bed. Until he woke up the next time that night.

Finally this week, we’ve made a deal with Will. If he will stay in bed, rather than fall asleep on the carpet, then Rob will stand guard outside the door for 10 minutes. He sits on a chair there, doing crosswords or napping – but so far no monsters, or cows or coyotes have made it past him. And so far Will is sleeping quite well. The guard-the-door trick is an idea borrowed from my dad, who used to sit outside my door guarding me from spiders when I was around Will’s age. Nighttime fearfulness runs in the family, and I remember being greatly comforted by having my dad as nightwatchman in the lighted hallway outside my door.
Now during the day Will’s started doing the same thing for his imaginary friends. He makes a bedroom out of our living room by lining both entrances to the room with cars that serve as the “gates” to the room, and then he parks his little chair beside one gate and reads a book.

“Dad, remember how you sit in the chair when I go to sleep?” he asks Rob. “I’m going to do that for Ally and Puff. I’m gong to make sure any monsters don’t get in.”

Problem is sometimes mom forgets (or chooses to ignore) that the living room is actually Ally and Puff's bedroom. And that gets me and Owen both in trouble.

“Ally and Puff, wake up!” Will shouts when I try to sit on the couch with Owen. “There’s a monster in the room. Go away monsters!” He is pointing at me and his brother too.

Truth is sometimes I do look and feel a little monstrous, after a couple days without a shower and who knows how many nights of broken sleep. But I try, no matter how exhausted I am, to be a friendly monster.

4 comments:

April said...

You are not alone in your nighttime weirdness. I just finished my nightly stint sitting next to Jasper's crib as he falls asleep. I pat him, sing many songs, we kiss each other (through the bars), repeat as needed - this process can take as long as an hour. Occasionally after all that, he rewards us by sleeping through the night and for that we are grateful.

Jenn said...

I love the blog. I don't even have kids, and I'm hooked.

We brought you guys a present back from Cambodia--give us a call and we'll come visit and introduce ourselves to Owen!

Unknown said...

My husband Mark came up with a fabulous idea for calming the monster fears of our three year old, Creight. He had just bought a back pack sprayer for the yard and thought he would put it to good use before filling it with chemicals. We went to the store and bought Rid-A-Monster spray (aka rubbing alcohol), poured it in the sprayer, added water and sprayed all the closets and other suspect areas where Creight claimed to have seen monsters. He bought it hook, line and sinker and there hasn't been a monster sighting since!

Annie Addington said...

That's pretty ingenius, Ginny. Have you considered going into the business: Mr. Mark, Monsterminator?? I'd pay him to come treat our house, especially if he could throw a little something extra into the concoction to eliminate moo cows and foxes too.

(Jenn, Will will be thrilled to get to see you and hear about your travels in Bodia.)