Sunday, August 19, 2007

Indiscretion uncle

This weekend we had our first getaway to Lake Rabun with Owen. We picked up my brother, "Uncle Graham," who survived a red-eye flight from San Francisco, in Atlanta and headed for the mountains.

There we enjoyed a respite from the brutal South Georgia heat, played in the lake, and listened by night to the hum of cicadas and by day to the sounds of Graham and Will discussing everything crude under the sun.
If grandparents are notorious spoilers, I'm beginning to think that uncles may be notorious defilers. Graham, who is 28, admits that he is basically a toddler in size 10 shoes. So just three days into his visit, he and Will have already had plenty of conversations about pooping and nose-picking and the like -- all of them punctuated by laughter. Even among his adult friends Graham has earned the nickname "Indiscretion Buddy."

"Don't say that! Don't show him that!" I find myself saying to devilish Graham, who shoots me a playful grin as he shows Will a digital photo of himself with a quarter stuffed in each nostril, or as he talks to his fascinated nephew about the joy of nose-picking.

Here, he and Will are doing some body painting with Lake Rabun mud. It's part of a "poopy game" they are playing. I'll spare you the details. Suffice it to say that Graham's already planning a well-rounded education for Will, who this week will be learning table manners at preschool ("Manners matter" is the theme for the upcoming week there) and "anti table manners," as Graham has dubbed them, at home.

2 comments:

Shan said...

I'm unsure what it is that makes brothers want to teach little ones things like that. My brother Matthew is notorious for teaching my son Eli to do the craziest things - most recently to take off his shirt, wave it over his head, and yell "I Love School!" I hesitate to think of what will happen should Eli ever do something taught by Uncle Matthew when he does go to school.

Annie Addington said...

Showed your comment to Uncle Graham, and he chuckled and said "That's pretty cool." At least Uncle Matthew chose to have Eli wave shirt, instead of shorts, overhead.