Saturday, September 5, 2009

Bargain shopping in September

Last night, I made it to the first night of the Altrusa book sale and came out with a nice stack of chapter books for Will and picture books to share between Owen and my preschool kids, all for $5. I like a sale where the kindly volunteers eyeball your hefty stack and then quote you a bargain price. For my five bucks, I scored these sporadically illustrated chapter books for Will:

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster; The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene Du Bois; Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater; Abel’s Island by William Steig; A Bear called Paddington by Michael Bond; The Cat Who Went to Heaven By Elizabeth Coatsworth; and Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse by George Selden – plus a couple Boxcar Children and Junie B. Jones books that I will tolerate and Will will enjoy.

Owen’s already loving his little picture book collection too.

In Columbus, September is my favorite thrift shopping month of the year. After the book sale, there’s the fall Just 4 Kidz Consignments sale (Sept. 15-19) and then the Junior League’s Attic Sale on Sept. 26. Besides the fact that you can buy recycled and get lots for little, the Altrusa and Attic sales proceeds go to good causes. And even with the Just 4 Kidz sale, you’re supporting other budget-strapped moms who are selling their kids' clothes in order that they can buy bargain-priced clothes from other moms. I’m all in favor of clothes swapping like this.

No comments: